Outpatient Shoulder Replacement in Richmond VA
G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine leading orthopedic surgeon Dr. Vic Goradia offers NEW Outpatient Shoulder Replacement in Richmond VA for patients affected by shoulder arthritis when non-surgical and alternative treatments fail.
With his new Outpatient Shoulder Replacement Program in Richmond VA patients now have the option (if recommended by Dr. Goradia) for same- day shoulder replacement. The entire shoulder replacement process can occur at the hospital or surgery center and patients can be safely discharged home the same day as surgery, without being admitted to a hospital.
How Outpatient Shoulder Replacement is Possible
- Each patient is evaluated prior to surgery to determine if they are a candidate. We use the Outpatient Arthroplasty (i.e. replacement) Assessment Score also known as the OARA Score for this evaluation.
- Patients receive 1 or more physical therapy visits prior to surgery so they are aware of the exercises that will be important after surgery.
- Multimodal pain management means that patients are given various treatments to alleviate pain.
- Each patient receives regular communication and instructions from Dr. Goradia using the MotionIQ system.
The OARA Score
- This assessment was developed by Dr. Meneghini from Indiana to identify patients that would have lower risk factors for outpatient joint replacement.
- A series of questions are asked regarding the patients’ health
- A score is calculated to determine if patient is a low, medium or high risk
- The results are reviewed with the patient
Physical Therapy Exercises Right After Surgery
- A physical therapist and nurse will visit your home the day after surgery so we can make sure you are progressing well
- Follow the recommended steps for: Shoulder TheraBand Exercises For Muscle Strengthening
- Follow the recommended steps for: Shoulder Isometric Exercises To Increase Muscle Strength
Pain Management After Outpatient Shoulder Replacement Surgery
- The Anesthesiologist will give you a nerve block prior to surgery to numb your shoulder. This will last 12-24 hours after surgery and will help reduce your discomfort
- Tylenol or acetaminophen will be recommended for you to take 4 times per day if you are not allergic to it. This may not seem like much but it does help with some baseline pain control.
- You may be prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication for pain and swelling.
- Applying ice to the knee can also reduce pain and swelling
- You may be prescribe gabapentin to take at night for nerve related pain and it can also help your fall asleep
- Finally you will be prescribed a medication for more severe pain
Communication from MotionIQ
- You will be enrolled into the Motion IQ when you are scheduled for surgery
- You will receive instructions by text or email from Dr. Goradia regularly before and after surgery
- Videos will also be sent to you from Dr. Goradia
- Information about your recovery will be sent to Dr. Goradia so he can monitor your progress
Why G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine?
We are a boutique orthopedic surgery and sports medicine practice that focuses on individualized patient care in a comfortable environment. If you’ve been looking for an experienced and award-winning orthopedic doctor in Richmond, VA look no further. Our practice uses medical research to accurately assess a patient surgical risk. In addition, we utilize the latest technology for patient communication, education and surgical recovery.
If you’re experiencing hip, shoulder, elbow, knee, or ankle pain and are in search of an orthopedic doctor in Richmond, VA, please contact G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine today. If you’ve already spoken with a surgeon and are looking for a second opinion, we can help. Request an appointment online or give us a call at 804-375-4322 to get started.