Lipogems injections contain fat cells also known as fat grafts or adipose tissue. Adipose tissue has a high concentration of specialized healing cells known as perivascular cells (also called pericytes). These cells wrap around small blood vessels within adipose tissue. They react to sites of injury where they promote natural repair.
- Convenient: The procedure can be performed in under an hour in the G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine west end office.
- Technique: Using local anesthetic to numb the skin on the lower stomach or back area, the fat cells are obtained.
- Pure: The Lipogems device uses saline to wash away and remove the blood and oil that may contribute to inflammation.
- Gentle Processing: The special cells are trapped and protected inside the fat. The Lipogems process gently resizes the fat tissue to create the ideal material and performance properties to inject the Lipogems precisely into a damaged area to cushion and support the area as it
- Easier Injections: Because the Lipogems process micro-fragments your fat, the size of Lipogems tissue is ideal to facilitate healing in the treatment Additionally, Lipogems stays in the area where it is injected instead of being reabsorbed, allowing your body to maximize the benefits of Lipogems for a longer period of time.
- May Treat Multiple Areas: Depending on how much fat is collected, there may be enough volume to inject in several different places (many
patients present with multiple orthopedic conditions).
- Compliant and cleared by the FDA: The Lipogems device has been clearedby the FDA.
- Best New Technology in Sports Medicine: Received award in 2016.
Potential Benefits of Lipogems over Stem Cell Injections
- Research has shown that regardless of a person’s age, their fat maintains certain reparative properties unlike other tissues such as bone marrow, which may lose healing capacity with age.
- It has been reported in studies that adipose tissue may contain up to 100-500x more regenerative cells than an equivalent amount of bone marrow aspirate.
- There is typically plentiful volume, which allows for treatment of multiple areas, unlike other tissues such as from bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) and amniotic tissue.
Is Injecting Fat Tissue Safe?
- Adipose tissue has also been used successfully for many years for structural fat grafting in cosmetic and plastic/reconstructive surgery (body contour improvement).
- Lipogems was patented in 2010 and used in Europe in 2013.
- Lipogems device cleared the FDA in U.S. in December 2014.
- According to Lipogems, approximately 8,000 procedures have been performed worldwide.
Lipogems as an Alternative to Orthopedic Surgery
An injection can reduce pain and stiffness and improve function thereby allowing patients to delay shoulder, hip and knee replacement surgery.
The less severe the arthritis, the better the results.
Tendon tears such as Rotator Cuff
The repair properties of Lipogems injections can be used to help partial and small complete rotator cuff tears heal.
Similarly the repair properties can be used to treat small meniscus and labral tears. The injections are also used for patients that are not good candidates for surgery.
Chondromalacia and Osteochondral defects (Cartilage Damage)
Lipogems fat grafts injected into areas of cartilage damage can promote healing and regeneration of cartilage. Again, less severe cases can be treated with injections alone. For more severe cases that require surgery, the injections can be given at the time of surgery to further improve surgical results.
The Process at G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
- Schedule an appointment for an initial consultation so our physicians can provide an accurate diagnosis and discuss all treatment options. Patients’ insurance will be billed for this office visit.
- Stop non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprogen 3 days before the procedure.
- Come with a driver.
- The procedure takes approximately 1 hour.
- You can expect soreness and sometimes a low grade temperature for a few days.
- Patients can resume normal daily activities but shoulder avoid strenuous activities for 6 weeks at which time you will return for a follow-up appointment.
- A 75% improvement in symptoms is considered a good result and no further treatment is required.
- If less than 75% improvement a PRP injection can be given to help “boost” the effects of the Lipogems.
How Much Do Lipogems Injections Cost:
Unfortunately, Lipogems injections are not paid for by insurance. At G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, the injections regular price is $3500 for one body part and $500 for each additional area.
Why G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine?
We are a small, specialized orthopedic practice in Richmond, VA that provides Advanced Orthopedic Treatment Options, Excellent Results, Personalized Care and Convenient Appointments.
Dr. Vic Goradia is fellowship trained in sports medicine, minimally invasive surgery and knee & shoulder reconstructive surgery. He began practicing in Richmond in 2001 and specializes in regenerative medicine including alternatives to surgery as well as sports medicine, arthroscopic surgery and knee & shoulder replacement. Dr. Goradia has been performing PRP injections since 2009, Bone Marrow Stem Cell injections since 2013 and Lipogems injections in 2017. Dr. Goradia was the first in Richmond, VA to provide Lipogems injections.