Ankle Arthritis & Ankle Specialist in Glen Allen VA
Ankle arthritis can be broken down into three major types: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, and Post-traumatic arthritis.
What are the differences?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis is a chronic disease in which cells within your body attack the lining of your ankle joint causing damage to the cartilage.
- Osteoarthritis is “wear and tear” arthritis that gradually wears away as a person ages.
- Post-traumatic Arthritis is damage to the cartilage that may form after an injury such as an ankle fracture or dislocation.
What are some symptoms of ankle arthritis?
- Stiffness of the ankle joint
- Crunching or popping noises with movement of the ankle joint
- Pain with activity or walking
- Swelling, redness or warmth to the ankle
What are treatment options?
For early-stage ankle arthritis, patients can first try a combination of physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medications and bracing. We can also give you cortisone injections within the ankle joint to help with symptom control. However, if pain persists, there are surgical options you can discuss with your surgeon. These surgical options include ankle arthroscopy (see Arthroscopic Ankle Surgery section).
When patients reach end-stage ankle arthritis, ankle arthroscopy may no longer be an option. Ankle arthrodesis (fusing the ankle joint together to prevent further motion and pain) has traditionally been the gold standard option for end-stage ankle arthritis. However, over the past decade, the advent of total ankle replacement has caused a shift in treatment. Total ankle replacements have made technological strides which give implants increased longevity and greater patient satisfaction.
Total ankle replacement is not an option for everyone but can be a life-changing surgery for the right patient. If you are dealing with painful ankle arthritis, please visit our office to discuss options today. Request an appointment online or give us a call at 804-375-4322 to get started.
Why G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine?
G2 Orthopedics and Sports Medicine is Richmond & Midlothian VA’s boutique orthopedic surgery and sports medicine practice that focuses on individualized patient care in a comfortable environment. Request an appointment online or give us a call at 804-375-4322 to get started.